Leadership is the art of leading a group of people towards achieving a common goal. Here we are going to talk about the functions of leadership.
What will I learn?
- 1 12 Major Functions Of Leadership – Detailed Overview
- 1.1 1. Bringing Updated Policies In Existence:
- 1.2 2. Assembling Everything In Order:
- 1.3 3. Outlining The Purpose – Functions Of Leadership:
- 1.4 4. Starting Off The Processes:
- 1.5 5. Supervising And Stimulating The Workforce:
- 1.6 6. Penetrating Deeper To The Problems – Functions Of Leadership:
- 1.7 7. Being A Linking Pin Between Groups:
- 1.8 8. Counselling Is One Of The Important Leadership Functions:
- 1.9 9. Illustrating The Image Of Organization:
- 1.10 10. Managing Rewards And Penalties:
- 1.11 11. Showing Supremacy – Functions Of Leadership:
- 1.12 12. Collaborating With Followers:
- 2 Conclusion:
It’s an essential activity in an organization to make it function with efficiency.
12 Major Functions Of Leadership – Detailed Overview
It also brings a sense of fairness within the organization. There should be a clear understanding of human psychology.
A good leader represents him and his followers as one unit to create unionism.
The top 12 functions of leadership are explained here. If you want to know about functions of leadership then do check below:
1. Bringing Updated Policies In Existence:
A most important function of a leader is to create a policy that tells the workers how to work in order. This policy is a set of rules and principles devised to run the system of organization.
It makes the environment of the organization workable. So that everyone can work to contribute to their efforts.
There will also be a sense of collectivity when all the employees would be following the same policy.
2. Assembling Everything In Order:
This is also a vital function of a leader. He organizes the people into groups to achieve goals.
Different employees working in an organization have different abilities. A leader should arrange them together. So their collective abilities produce the best results.
The leader brings them in an order to achieve the goal of the organization.
3. Outlining The Purpose – Functions Of Leadership:
The function of a leader is that he sets goals and then plans strategies to achieve those goals.
This planning involves cost planning, time planning, and resource planning.
In this way, the leader inculcates a roadmap. That clarifies the employees to use the resources within a given time and cost.
And make the best results out of them.
SEE ALSO: What is a Direct Participation Program
4. Starting Off The Processes:
Leaders take initiative in all matters of interest to the group. He is not dependent on orders and decisions.
A leader is one who makes the decisions. The leader engages the workers in work i.e. mobilization. On the completion of planning.
It’s the turn of employees to start executing those plans. But the leader is also responsible here to help them follow the plans in limited time and resources.
5. Supervising And Stimulating The Workforce:
The leader is a source of motivation for his followers. He helps them and motivates them to work on the attainment of long-term goals.
Distributing bonuses and certificates on good performance is an important motivating factor.
A leader has to make sure that every person on the team is in his best spirits. The leader should build their confidence up.
6. Penetrating Deeper To The Problems – Functions Of Leadership:
An important function of the leader is to ensure that the process keeps on running.
In case there arises any problem then he should be ready to solve it.
The problem can be both expected or unexpected.
The leader must be ready to face any kind of challenging situation. And he should not panic because other people are looking towards him.
He must have alternative solutions for any unexpected problem.
7. Being A Linking Pin Between Groups:
Leaders are said to be linking pins. And these linking pins combine the whole organization.
The leader links the top management and workers. They are the representatives of workers before top management.
In case of conflict among people, the leader acts as a mediator or arbitrator.
So leader settles their issues and makes a mutual understanding.
A leader is a communication bridge between the top management and workers. The effectiveness of an organization depends on the strength of these linking pins.
8. Counselling Is One Of The Important Leadership Functions:
A leader provides counseling to its workers in case of disequilibrium.
He removes the troubles coming in the way of effective performance. By providing counseling, he removes all that emotional tension.
A leader is a role model for his followers.
9. Illustrating The Image Of Organization:
An organization when interacts with other organizations.
It needs a representative. It’s the leader who serves this purpose. He represents his organization in the best way.
10. Managing Rewards And Penalties:
The leader controls the rewards and penalties based on the efficiency of workers.
The workers receive different benefits and punishments according to their given performance.
The main purpose of these rewards is to motivate followers. And punishes are for bad behavior. This helps to keep them on track.
11. Showing Supremacy – Functions Of Leadership:
The leader uses power and domination in a way that inculcates a positive outlook on employees.
There are different types of powers that a leader can use for an effective system.
These are reward power, coercive power, legitimate power, and expert power.
The success of leadership depends on the positive response from the followers. So it’s important to use that power and domination in the best interest of the group being lead.
12. Collaborating With Followers:
The function of a leader is to provide facilitation to its followers.
A leader facilitates his followers in the achievement of a planned task.
He facilitates the process by participating. Leadership is not the name of giving orders. Leadership demands contribution.
A good leader inspires his followers and shapes their behavior.
So he participates whenever it’s needed. And puts the best of his efforts to achieve the goal.
As we have discussed here there are many important functions of leadership. Creating a policy would be the first step in functioning the leadership.
So after that planning, organizing and motivation come under this umbrella.
A leader performs all the functions to achieve the goals which he sets.
A leader is always a problem solver and performs arbitration.
Comment here and discuss what you think about the functions of leadership.
Last Updated on 11 months by Assma Riaz
- 16 Signs Your Boss Is Threatened By You - June 5, 2022
- How To Flirt With A Coworker in 23 Non-Creepy Ways - February 9, 2022
- How To Congratulate A Coworker On A New Baby – 5 Best Ways - February 9, 2022