Dating a coworker can be tricky to pull off, especially if both of you have a good working relationship. Let’s learn how to date a coworker.
What will I learn?
If the two of you have a pretty mutual solid interest going on between each other, why not consider going out?
How To Date A Coworker – 16 Incredible Tips
You have to consider many factors when dating a coworker. It is because there are company policies involved too. To ease it out, here are the steps on how to date a coworker:
1. Ask Your Boss About Company Policies:
Before you ask your coworker, you must first think about company policies. Some companies will not allow their employees to date each other.
It is based on protecting workers from harassment and discrimination lawsuits.
There are laws such as:
– The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) bars sexual harassment.
– The Fair Labor Standards Act prohibits supervisors from giving an unfair advantage to romantic partners.
So, if you want to date a coworker, approach your boss first before you ask your coworker out.
It will be awkward on both of your parts if they find out that you have been ignoring company policies later on.
2. Ask Your Coworker – How To Date A Coworker;
The next step in dating a coworker is asking your feelings to the person involved. Try getting to know the person better by planning a group outing after work (if possible).
Your coworkers can be friends, which could perhaps become more than that. If both of you like each other, then go for it!
The worst thing that can happen is that they say no or say yes but soon grow tired of waiting for you to make a move.
So try the group outing plan first.If the person asks you out on a date, it means that they want to have a relationship with you already.
Make sure to keep yourself from getting too attached. Things may not work out upon request. And even if they say no, remain friends.
3. Start As Friends:
Sometimes dating coworkers can be awkward. It is especially when the dynamics of your working relationship change overnight.
The best way to deal with this uncomfortable feeling is to stay well within your territory. Be professionals at all times.
So, always start as friends before moving towards anything else between you. That way, you will not complicate your working relationship.
To become a friend, you must try your best to maintain an upbeat personality at work.
Moreover, consider your coworker’s personal space. They may not want to share their personal life with you at work.
So, please don’t ask them too many questions about the career or anything sensitive in nature.
4. Know Who To Avoid & Pick – How To Date A Coworker:
Do not date a coworker if it will lead to office gossip and drama. If this happens, the dating person might get blamed for your actions even if they had nothing to do with it.
It can ruin both of your careers, so stay away from these types of people. You also need to know who to pick when dating a coworker.
Try choosing someone in another department or level. No one will notice your relationship too much.
If somebody finds out about you two, avoid telling them that you’re coworkers.
Wait till it is no longer an issue, which completely clears both of you from office gossip and drama. Having different departments means that neither of you gets overwhelmed with work stress.
5. Keep Your Relationship Secret:
If possible, keep your relationship a secret. If not, you might find out that somebody may start spreading rumors.
It can ruin both of your careers if things go wrong. Make sure to keep the news to yourselves until everything is better.
To keep it a secret, try these tips:
– Stay in your department and do not spend time together in each other.
– Limit socializing outside of work (like Facebook or Twitter).
– Speak at a low volume when talking about the relationship to avoid attention from others.
– Keep your relationship private, go on dates and communicate through chat/texting.
– Do not sit together if there are empty seats available at the same time.
6. Be Understanding – How To Date A Coworker:
It will help if you understand when dating a coworker. They will become too overwhelmed with stress from their jobs.
It might sometimes affect how they behave towards you. You have to deal with this type of pressure by making them feel good and happy around you.
Don’t let them worry at all and do the best job possible. It’s also essential to stay supportive in arguments and disagreements.
Understanding also includes putting your problems to the side. It means working out any issues you may have with them in private.
You can try turning to a friend or family member if it’s bothering you. However, do not speak about your relationship problems with somebody else.
7. Avoid Taking Risks:
Dating a coworker can be risky. Make sure that your relationship is worth risking all the desired things you have at work. For instance:
If your relationship doesn’t last long, you might lose your job or get fired. It makes the working environment an uncomfortable place.
Moreover, never make promises to each other that are hard to keep. You can plan for future dates together.
But do so as long as they ensure that your relationship develops enough before taking any risks.
Also, don’t push boundaries by making physical contact with them too soon unless both of you are willing to do so.
8. Stay Flirty & Casual – How To Date A Coworker:
Be flirty and casual when dating a coworker, especially if they enjoy this aspect of how you act around them.
It also means that they are attracted to you the way you are, even if it’s in a professional industry.
If flirting and casualness are not your things, then this relationship will end badly for both of you.
Somebody will get too overwhelmed with stress. Anyone can decide to break off the relationship after a while because of how hard it was to maintain it.
So, be open and honest about yourself and who you are by showing them all your traits, even if it may seem cheesy at first.
9. Have Fun:
Make sure to have fun together when dating a coworker. Otherwise, there isn’t much purpose behind why two people should date each other.
However, make sure not to add any work-related tasks into the mix when hanging out. That could create a lot of unnecessary stress and pressure.
You can go to the movies together, eat lunch together in their department, etc. But do not make plans to work on projects or something like this.
Avoid it unless one of you is already in charge and you plan for them to join.
10. Tips For A Successful Relationship:
Lastly, remember these tips to have a successful relationship with your coworker:
– Make sure that they want the same thing from the relationship as before going forward.
– Always be honest about everything, even if it’s hard because hiding things will worsen.
– If arguments get too heated, take a break from each other for a bit of a bit, even if it’s complicated.
– If you are the one ending the relationship, do not leave another message to explain yourself. That will create unnecessary drama and stress.
– You don’t have to hang out with their friends or family members unless they want you to.
11. How To Date A Coworker – Things To Avoid:
– Don’t ask your coworkers on a date if they are already in a relationship. Chances are, they will decline this offer unless it’s one of their friends.
– Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that dating them will result in you getting whatever you want. It won’t work out exactly as planned every time.
– Do not drink too much alcohol at an event together because things can get out of hand. It’s better to keep yourself and them sober if something goes wrong later.
Spreading rumors and gossiping about each other is unprofessional. It creates unnecessary tension between employees who overhear these conversations.
Avoid doing this whether you are in a relationship together or not.
12. What Are Your Responsibilities:
Remember your responsibilities when dating a coworker. It’s easy to get lost in the heat of the moment and forget what you should and shouldn’t do. Some examples would be:
– Do not date someone you work under because doing this will create an immediate conflict of interest.
It would help if you also didn’t date somebody who has authority over you at work.
– If both partners are leaving their jobs, it might be okay to consider giving the relationship a shot.
Otherwise, if only one of you is going, dating them would create pain for you. They won’t want to date you back.
– Avoid dating your coworker if you plan on working somewhere else shortly. It will be impossible for this relationship to succeed unless they leave.
13. Ask For Confidence:
If you are unsure about asking someone out after work hours, try asking for their confidence.
See how things go first. If they decline, then know that the person isn’t interested in dating anyone.
If they are not confident enough to say yes, which could mean they may change their minds one day down the road.
Suppose they accept your offer because you asked them out, chances are they already have some feelings for you. It wouldn’t be wise to decline this offer.
14. How To Date A Coworker In The Future:
If you plan on having a relationship with somebody who is currently your coworker, get confirmation. Make sure if their job might change in the next year or so.
If they plan on staying at their company for years more, this will create an apparent barrier. It won’t be easy to overcome down the road.
You may also want to ask yourself what termination would look like if one got fired from their job. It could affect your relationship afterward.
If there is no real possibility of termination, then it is better. If both people agree that they don’t mind working together after dating, go ahead and ask them out already!
15. How To Know If You Should Date A Coworker:
Ask yourself a couple of questions before you date somebody, your coworker. Some examples will be if this person enjoys spending time outside of work.
They make a good impression on you during the first few conversations you have. If the answer to both of these questions is “yes,” then feel free to ask them out.
Otherwise, it might be better for both of you to continue working at the job as coworkers. Don’t be personal lovers because things can get very messy afterward.
At least until after one of them gets fired from their job or quits first!
16. When Is It Okay To Date A Coworker?
It is okay to begin dating somebody who is your coworker if most of these things are true about them:
– You already know that they like you.
– They make a good impression on you the first time you talk to each other.
– Their job doesn’t change any time soon (in the next year or so).
– Mutual termination wouldn’t be an issue.
– Dating them won’t cause problems between you and another coworker.
– You don’t mind having them as a coworker after you both break up.
To conclude, some people have had success dating a coworker, while others have failed too. It all comes down to how well you know them and if your personalities match each other.
If you don’t feel comfortable asking them on a date, don’t. There are chances are it won’t work out between the two of you, even if they enjoy working with one another.
Dating a coworker can be successful if both want the same thing from this relationship. Otherwise, there isn’t any incentive for both people to make it work out.
Avoiding drama and gossip by staying professional is vital for workplace relationships.
Last Updated on 1 year by Shahzaib Arshad
- Mental Health Issues Rise In Employees – Stats You Didn’t Know - March 14, 2023
- Start-Up Boom In Pandemic – Detailed Stats - March 1, 2023
- All Stats Related To Cut In Greenhouse Gas Emission Due To WFH - February 22, 2023