Career growth- an aspect worth your focus and attention. Therefore, let’s talk about how to talk with your boss about career growth.
What will I learn?
Career growth is essential to everyone. A person rarely reaches a point in their career where they have stopped learning and growing.
How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth – 7 Steps To Follow
If you are at a point in your career where you feel stagnant, start thinking about promoting growth. The best way to do this is to talk with your boss about career growth.
Therefore, let’s discuss seven steps you can follow:
1. Assess Your Current Situation/ Objectives:
Firstly, assess your current situation. What are you looking for career growth? Secondly, are there specific skills you want to learn or projects you would like to start?
Analyze your strengths and weakness and how to reach your potential. Moreover, how can your boss help you out in your career growth?
Make a list of the aspects of career growth that you want. Brainstorm some growth strategies to discuss with your boss. Next, write down what you want to ask your boss.
What are the key objectives that you hope to do with this career growth discussion? Do you want to learn more about a particular aspect of your business?
Do you need your boss’s help finding information about a product or service? Likewise, think about what you would like to get out of this meeting.
2. Prepare Yourself With Your Boss’s Perspective:
Prepare yourself for this meeting by understanding what your boss’s perspective is. Your boss will likely have some points to make, too.
Understanding his perspective can help you prepare a strong case for yourself. Learn about the company’s needs that they are looking for in employees.
It will be easier to connect with your boss if you know these things. Similarly, you’ll be able to speak on topics that are important to them as well as you.
The step makes the meeting personal, which takes it from formal to friendly. Moreover, learning about your boss’s goals motivate them to listen to your requests.
3. How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth- Meet With Your Boss:
Once you have decided on an approach, schedule a meeting with your boss and discuss the facts. You can ask his assistant for his availability.
Taking good appointments will be beneficial because your boss will be all ready. He will know that you have a serious matter to discuss. Thus, he will pay attention.
Before starting the meeting, get ready with facts and figures (or project ideas). Show your personality and work factors that increase your value as an employee.
Keep it factual, and don’t ramble on too long. The most effective meetings happen when they stay on topic and do not go astray!
4. Identify Areas Of Opportunity And Growth:
Start the meeting by discussing your goals. Moreover, outline what you expect the outcomes of this meeting to be.
It will show that you know what you want, which will impress him. It’ll help if you ask questions that get into methods for achieving what you want.
In this way, he will see how much value you bring to the table. It, in turn, may inspire him to take steps towards assuring your professional growth!
Identify areas of opportunity which need improvement. Besides, realize challenges at work or projects that seem too challenging.
Find out ways in which your boss’s input can help boost the performance output.
5. How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth- Ask For What You Want:
It is now time to ask for what you want. Tell your boss that you see a great future in the company and would like his help in achieving this goal.
Ask if he can offer advice on how you might do this. Likewise, don’t demand anything from your boss as it will make him irritated and uneasy.
Maintain utmost politeness and courtesy while asking questions from your boss. Show appreciation for any time or resources that your boss makes available to you.
His positive response will leave an impression on him about how good a team player you are!
6. Get Your Boss To Invest Time In You:
Once your boss helps you out, thank him for his time with you. Let him know that you’ll follow up on his advice and report back once your project is underway.
Let him know how it has changed you positively- this will give him more reason to invest in you again!
Likewise, tell your boss precisely what steps you will take next.
Since it was his idea, let him know that he can take part in helping you achieve what you want. It’s a win-win situation for both of you!
7. How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth- Follow Up:
It is essential to have a plan to follow up after meeting with your boss. At least send an email thanking him for his time and letting him know what specific steps you will be taking.
Make sure to send weekly or monthly updates so that he can track your progress.
For the meeting to have been successful, you need to make sure that something gets done due to it!
Track your progress to have confidence that you are growing in your career. It will be the dose of motivation to work more efficiently.
What Is Career Growth?
When your career is growing, you are moving up the ladder with promotions. You are acquiring new skills and can do things better than earlier.
It can be a boss reviewing your performance every week and expecting better output from you.
Moreover, it can be taking an advanced course in some other field outside of work.
There are many ways to define career growth. However, it entirely depends on what an individual deems as essential.
There cannot be a single reason why someone’s career would not grow. There can always be room for improvement and development.
Most HRs need someone who wants a career rather than a job. Therefore, always strive for career growth.
However, many companies have their employees’ career growth a priority. Some companies have training and development plans for their employees.
They have proper strategies to boost their employees’ skills and growth.
Why Is Career Growth Important?- 7 Reasons
Your career is a reflection of you and your skills. Have good career growth because:
1. It determines the kind of life you will provide for yourself and your loved ones in the future.
2. Career growth also gives you job satisfaction and a sense of purpose.
3. Must have good career growth to move up in the world, make more money, and have better opportunities.
4. Career growth can also help you switch industries if you are not happy with what you are currently doing.
5. Likewise, it is a way to challenge yourself and learn new things.
6. Good career growth can help you find new mentors who can help you in your professional journey.
7. In short, it makes you feel proud of what you have achieved and inspires you to do even better in the future!
How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth- 5 Things To Avoid
You must do several things to have an effective conversation with your boss. However, there are also some mistakes that you must avoid:
1. Do not reveal any feelings of anger because they overlooked your promotion or raise in the past.
2. Don’t complain or badmouth other colleagues who have gotten ahead faster than you.
3. In short, be careful not to offend him by saying anything like:
“I deserved this promotion, and it’s unfair how they give it to someone else.”
It will make him uncomfortable because he knows you might be talking about his colleague too!
4. Do not be overly aggressive in demanding a raise or better opportunities.
5. You must know your value and why he should invest in you. However, do not say anything like:
“You undervalue my work, and I deserve more.”
It will make him feel defensive and not like what you’re saying.
How To Talk With Your Boss About Career Growth- Conclusion:
Here’s a brief of what we discussed in the article.
1. Analyze your objectives and current situation
2. Meet with your boss and go over the facts, keeping it factual and on topic.
3. Outline what you expect the outcomes of this meeting to be.
4. Identify areas of opportunity and growth where it needs improvement.
5. Ask for what you want with politeness and respect.
6. Get your boss to invest time in you.
7. Follow up after the meeting with an email thank you.
8. Send weekly or monthly updates on your progress (so that he can track it!).
In conclusion, when speaking about career growth, make sure to follow these steps to get ahead at work!
Last Updated on 1 year by Shahzaib Arshad
- Reposted Job After Interview – 11 Scenarios - January 12, 2023
- What To Do If I Hate Being A Manager – 12 Solutions - January 10, 2023
- How to Create a Non-Confrontational Environment? | Leadership Tips - January 7, 2023