Remote working is dream work, well, for some people. If you are one of them, it is time to learn how to tell your boss you want to work remotely.
What will I learn?
Remember that requesting your boss for remote work is challenging. You have to come up with solid reasons and facts.
How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely – 9 Things To Do
Below are the ten things you have to consider when telling your boss you want remote work:
1. Understand Company’s Policies:
First, understand your company’s policy on remote work.
Many companies are open to the idea of remote work, but there are also some that are not.
Therefore, if your company is not open to the idea of remote work, they will more likely deny your request.
Before asking for remote work, make sure you understand the company’s policy. It will help you determine whether it is even worth asking for it or not.
2. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Make A Case For Yourself:
When requesting to work remotely, you need to have a solid case.
Come up with reasons why working remotely would benefit you and your company. Moreover, include the benefits of remote work; you will find some later in the article.
When you are ready to make your case to your boss, make sure you have a list of benefits of remote work.
3. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Have A Discussion:
Once you have your points ready, it is time to discuss them with your boss. Do not email them or walk into their office and ask for remote work.
However, the best way to discuss this topic is over the phone or in person.
It will give you both a chance to discuss the matter in detail and see if working remotely is even possible.
4. Show Your Boss How You Will Communicate:
One of the main concerns of bosses when it comes to remote workers is losing communication with them.
They fear that remote workers will become distant and out of touch with what is happening at the office.
Therefore, to help ease your boss’s fears, show them how you will stay connected.
Some ways you can do this are by:
– Setting up regular check-ins
– Using video conferencing tools
– Having daily communication with your team.
5. Let Your Boss Know How You Will Stay Productive:
Another concern of bosses is that they will not be productive if they are not in the office.
Thus, show your boss that you will be productive and let them know how to stay on top of your work.
Some ways to do this are by:
– Setting deadlines for yourself
– Having a dedicated workspace
– Creating a routine.
6. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Have A Remote Work Plan Ready:
Once your boss is comfortable with the idea of your remote work, it is time to put together a tiny work plan.
This plan should include:
– The hours you will be working
– The tools and software you will need
Having a detailed remote work plan will show your boss that you are serious about remote work. Moreover, it will also show that you have everything under control.
7. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Get Feedback:
Once your remote work plan is in place, it is time to start getting feedback from your boss.
In the same vein, make sure to ask them how things are going and any changes they would like to see.
This feedback session will help ensure that your remote work plan is working for both you and your boss.
8. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Adjust Your Plan As Necessary:
As with any plan, things will not always go as expected. Therefore, it is essential to adjust your project according to it when this happens.
If you need to change your hours or communication plan, make sure to let your boss know as soon as possible.
Likewise, by being flexible with your plan, you will show your boss that you are serious.
9. How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- Make Sure To Be Accountable:
The final step of telling your boss you want to remote work is to be accountable.
It means keeping up with your check-ins, deadlines, and communication plan.
If you do this, your boss will be more than happy to let you work from wherever. Make sure they know that you are doing what it takes to make things work right.
Pros Of Remote Work:
Remote work has its pros and cons. Some benefits may include:
1. You can be more productive when you work home. It is in most cases if your company is in a different city or town.
2. You can avoid distractions by colleagues or noisy environments at the office. Such distractions hurt your productivity.
3. Likewise, focusing on what you do best will help you achieve better results faster.
4. Working from home may increase your efficiency. It takes only an hour for one to travel from home to office and vice versa.
5. This leaves plenty of time for working from home so on save time and avoid unnecessary commutes.
6. Working from home may also take away some distractions.
In remote work, you are not immediately available to other employees, customers, etc.
Thus, you will have fewer distractions.
7. It can also be a cost-effective way for businesses to operate. It eliminates the need for office space and related running costs.
8. Remote work can also improve employee satisfaction and retention rates. In this way, employees have more flexibility and control over their working lives.
9. Option to work from home some days can make people happier in their jobs. It results in less staff turnover.
10. In short, remote work increases creativity, job satisfaction, and engagement with work tasks.
Cons Of Remote Work:
Before asking for remote work, learn if remote work is workable for you or not. Some cons may include:
1. Some jobs only offer the option of working in an office.
2. You may not be able to maximize collaboration with your co-workers if you remote work.
3. It could be difficult for employees who don’t have self-discipline in time management.
4. Remote work may result in excessive procrastination or distractions. It could lead to lower productivity and slow workflow.
5. You may also find it harder to establish or develop rapport with new people. If this happens, you won’t know how to get interactions smoothly.
6. Working from home can be isolating and lonely in many cases.
7. It could be challenging to organize remote work while meetings with co-workers.
Likewise, it won’t be easy if you need to collaborate on projects.
8. When employees do not feel like they are doing “real” work, it can hurt their motivation. Likewise, their productivity levels decrease.
9. People who work from home may also have problems with self-discipline. It will be because there is no one looking over their shoulder.
It requires intense focus, concentration, and self-motivation.
10. Remote work in some cases may make people lonely, making them lose interest in their job.
In addition, a disengaged employee will most not deliver quality results.
How To Tell Your Boss You Want To Work Remotely- 6 Things To Avoid
You should avoid some things when asking your boss for remote work. These include:
1. Do not make it seem like your job or co-workers do not interest you.
2. Moreover, avoid sounding demanding when asking for remote work.
3. Do not lie about why you want to work from home. If your boss doesn’t believe you, they will likely say no.
4. Avoid telling your boss that you need to take care of personal responsibilities. Some examples can be taking care of a sick family member or pet.
5. Do not ask for a long time off or too many days per week to remote work. It will make it seem like you are not interested in your job.
6. Do not argue if your boss says no to your request for remote work.
Your boss may change their mind if you approach the situation the right way. Likewise, you can always try again in the future or explore other job options that offer work from home.
Remote work can be an excellent thing for you and your company if done right. Moreover, you and your boss should feel comfortable with the idea.
You will be able to succeed in working remotely by:
– By having a solid case for yourself
– Discussing remote work with your boss in depth
– Staying productive while remote
– Adjusting your plan as necessary
However, there are many pros and cons of remote working:
– Working remotely causes distractions, procrastination, etc. It makes you lonely as well. Work from home causes self-discipline issue.
– Remote work can also improve employee satisfaction and retention rates, etc.
– Working from home may increase your efficiency, and attention. Thus, it benefits your work.
In conclusion, follow these steps to choose remote work and talk to your boss about it.
Last Updated on 1 year by Shahzaib Arshad
- USA No. Of Job Openings In 2023 – Quick Stats - February 10, 2023
- When Coworkers Break the Rules & Get Away With It - January 12, 2023
- Can An Employer Stop You From Transferring – 8 Situations - January 11, 2023