Yes, your moral values and ethics matter. So do not compromise on them. Let’s learn what to do when your boss asks you to do something unethical.
What will I learn?
Dealing with an unethical boss is difficult. So we can only imagine how stressful you will be if your boss asks for something unethical. But do not worry, this article is for you.
What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical – 8 Things To Remember
We will discuss every perspective below. Therefore, find the one that suits your situation. Let’s read how to deal with such a boss:
1. Know The Consequences:
The first thing to know is the consequences of saying ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’ If you say ‘No,’ there’s a chance that it might disappoint your boss.
Sometimes, they might even retaliate or plot revenge against you. So make sure of the consequences of saying no before making your decision.
2. Is It Really unethical?
If this is something new, make sure if it is really unethical by asking yourself a few questions:
– Can it harm someone?
– Will anyone get hurt because of this?
– Can I live with myself after doing this for my career growth?
If yes, then it’s an ethical issue, and you need to think twice before giving your final answer.
3. Talk To Someone You Trust:
Talking to someone you trust can help when it comes to difficult decisions. It will give you a different perspective and might make your decision easier.
Talking to people who know you and understand your values is always helpful. It can be either your friends or family. Moreover, you can share this issue with your trustable colleague.
Sharing with colleagues is better because they know your boss and company culture.
4. What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical- Weigh The Pros And Cons:
Before making any decision, weigh the pros and cons of each choice. It includes the consequences of both options.
It’s important to be rational when making tough decisions like this one. So make sure to take a step back and think.
5. Use Your Personal Moral Compass:
Last but not least, use your moral compass when making this decision.
What values do you follow? Is there anything you can compromise on and still carry on with life? Such more questions will help you make the right decision.
5. What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical- Seek Professional Help:
If you’re struggling with dealing with an unethical boss, seek professional help.
Sometimes we need an outsider’s perspective to make the best decision for ourselves. A professional will help you weigh your options and help you make the right decision.
6. What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical- Say No If It Is Right:
The final decision is yours, and you have the right to say no. Take a stand for yourself and your integrity.
If you don’t feel comfortable doing something or go against your values, say no. It’s as simple as that.
Yes, it might make you feel guilty. But it might save you from more guilt in the future.
But if ‘No’ can allow you to work up to your potential while living with a clear conscience, then take this path. As often said, respect yourself. You must do so!
7. What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical- Say Yes If You Want:
However, say “yes” if it is necessary for your career growth and makes you feel at peace with yourself.
Just make sure that you can live with the decision you make. And remember, there will be consequences for both options.
In the end, it’s up to you to make the final decision!
8. What To Do When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical- Voice Your Opinion
Sometimes voicing your opinion might help. However, your boss doesn’t need to listen. It might stop them from making the same mistakes again in the future. So don’t be afraid to voice your opinion!
The lesson here is this: Don’t let anyone exploit you at work by asking for unethical favors.
Take charge of situations and make an action plan before things go south. It will help you be in control of your work life.
10 Examples Of Unethical Actions To Think About
We will share some examples of what sort of situations or actions are unethical. Identifying them and then taking against them is essential.
1. When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Illegal:
It is an easy one to identify. If your boss asks you to do something illegal, it’s an ethical issue, and you should say no.
Illegal activities can get you into a lot of trouble. So it’s best not to involve yourself in them.
2. When Your Boss Asks You To Break The Rules:
Breaking the rules is another evil thing that your boss might ask you to do.
There might be specific company rules that your boss doesn’t want to follow. Or they might want you to bend the rules for their benefit.
Either way, breaking the rules goes against your integrity as an employee. So could you not do it?
3. When Your Boss Asks You To Manipulate Numbers:
Manipulating numbers is a common thing that bosses ask their employees to do.
It could be anything else that makes the company look good, like:
– Inflating sales figures
– Hiding losses or
But this is unethical, and it’s essential to refuse if they ask you for manipulating numbers.
4. When Your Boss Asks You To Lie:
Lying is another big no-no. And your boss might ask you to do this to cover up something they have done or make themselves look good.
But lying goes against everything you believe in as an employee. So could you not do it?
5. When Your Boss Asks You To Steal:
Stealing is another evil thing that your boss might ask you to do.
It’s a crime, and it’s something that will follow you for the rest of your life.
So if your boss asks you to steal, say no! It’s not worth it!
6. When Your Boss Asks You To Hurt Another Employee:
Hurting another employee is something that your boss should never ask you.
It could be physically hurting them or emotionally hurting them.
Either way, it’s not okay, and you should refuse if they ask you to do something like that.
7. When Your Boss Asks You To Manipulate Customers:
Manipulating customer is a big no-no.
It could be lying to them, cheating them, or anything else that takes advantage of them. If your boss asks you to do this, say no! It’s not right!
8. When Your Boss Asks To Abuse Someone:
Abusing someone is another unethical act that your boss might ask you to do.
If they want you to abuse their spouse or family, it’s an ethical issue, and you should say no.
Also, if they ask you to abuse anyone else at the office, refuse! Abuse is never okay!
9. When Your Boss Asks You To Waste Money:
Wasting money is something that your boss might ask of you so that they can save their own money.
If this happens, don’t fall for it. It’s unethical and not correct! So refuse if asked of you.
10. When Your Boss Asks You To Take Credits For Someone Else’s Hard Work:
Taking credit for someone else’s hard work is a big no-no.
It’s unethical, and it’s something that will get you in a lot of trouble.
If your boss asks you to do this, refuse! It’s wrong!
Sample Script To Say “No” When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical
Here are a few dialogues you can use when saying no to your boss:
1. “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. It’s against my values and principles.”
2. “That’s not something I’m comfortable doing.”
3. “I’m sorry, but I can’t go along with that.”
4. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
5. “I don’t agree with that.”
6. “No, I won’t do that.”
7. “That’s unethical, and I won’t take part in it.”
8. “That’s not right, and I won’t do it.”
9. “I don’t believe in that, and I won’t help you with it.”
10. “That’s wrong, and I won’t be a part of it.”
Sample Script To Say “Yes” When Your Boss Asks You To Do Something Unethical
Here are a few dialogues you can use when saying yes to your boss:
1. “I’ll see what I can do.”
2. “We should be able to get that done. Let me think about it and get back to you.”
3. “I can try.”
4. “I’m not sure, but I’ll do what I can to help you out.”
5. “Okay. Here’s where we are with it so far….”
6. “Let me take care of that for now….”
7. “I’ll put together the information and get back to you.”
8. “Let’s talk about it before we make any final decisions.”
9. “We should be able to work something out.”
10. “I’ll do whatever it takes to help the company succeed.”
If you’re ever in a situation where your boss asks you to do something unethical, remember:
1. Say no. It is as simple as that.
2. Stand up for your beliefs.
3. Remember your rights as an employee!
4. Speak up if something feels wrong!
However, if you can move on with life after saying yes to unethical things, remember this:
1. Do it only if you can move on with life.
2. The thing should at least bring someone benefit to the company.
Last Updated on 1 year by Shahzaib Arshad
- Mental Health Issues Rise In Employees – Stats You Didn’t Know - March 14, 2023
- Start-Up Boom In Pandemic – Detailed Stats - March 1, 2023
- All Stats Related To Cut In Greenhouse Gas Emission Due To WFH - February 22, 2023